From the Times, June 6, 1838:
“On the 22nd ult, an ancient tumulus, traditionally known by the name of “Cnoc Math Righ,” or “The Hill of the Good King,” was opened in the Phoenix-park, in presence of Sir W. Hamilton, the President of the Royal Irish Academy, Sir W Betham, Ulster King at Arms, Mr George Petrie, the Rev Matthew Horgan, of Blarney, near Cork, several fellows and professors of Trinity College, and other distinguished individuals.
The first object uncovered by the workmen was a perfect cromlech, or altar tomb, deep within the centre of the mound, consisting of a rough unchiselled incumbent slab, 6 1/2 feet in length and 3 1/2 in breadth, resting on five pillar stones, 3 1/2 feet high each, two at either side and one at the foot, the whole forming a small chamber within, and the openings further secured by additional flag-stones, making the enclosure perfect, whilst covering the whole structure above and around it was a considerable collection of rubble or field stones…
On opening the small chamber above described two human skeletons were found in high preservation, in such a position as to seem to have been buried in a sitting posture; one of them was pronounced to be that of a male, the other a female, the latter being also of lesser stature. Beside them were found portions of two earthen urns, evidently of a remote antiquity, and a quantity of small white periwinkle shells, the points or extremities removed so as to form holes by which they could be strung together, and thus form an ornament for the neck, doubtless of the female. The situation of the tomb is a fine eminence, commanding an extensive view over the park, the city and neighbouring coast. Tradition states that a King and Queen of Ireland were buried here, whose tomb would some time or other be discovered.”
Picture credit: Dublin City Council